Though not as costly as buying miles, transferring miles to a different MileagePlus account is costly and should be avoided whenever possible. That being said there are times when it’s warranted. If this is your current situation then now is definitely the time to do so. United is running a 30% sale on miles transfers through 10/16.
Let’s say that you needed to transfer 10,000 miles to your spouse to top off their account for an upcoming trip. Usually this would cost you $150 + $30 processing fee. Now you’d pay $105 + $30 processing fee. That’s a decent $45 savings and a reasonable amount of spending if you have a good miles redemption planned.
- Limit of 100,000 miles per transaction
- Miles can be transferred in 500 mile increments between 500 and 5,000 miles, and in 1,000 mile increments from 5,000 to 100,000 miles
- Give up to 100,000 miles to each recipient’s account per calendar year – No recipient may receive more than 100,000 miles from any other MileagePlus account or combination of account in any calendar year
- Maximum transfer of up to 100,000 miles per calendar year out of one account
- Allow up to 48 hours for the miles to post to each recipient’s account
- Your credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
- Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
- Minimum transfer 500 miles per account
If you can lay off these, do so. But if you must make a move, this would be the time to do so and save a few extra bucks.